l pound firm or extra-firm tofu
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup organic cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
1 tablespoon crushed cumin
1. Drain, wrap and press the block of tofu in a clean dishtowel. When the tofu feels dry to the touch, about an hour, cut it into 6-8 slices. Place the tofu slices in a single layer into shallow baking dish.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, syrup and crushed cumin until well blended.
4. Pour the marinade over the tofu, cover the baking dish with foil, and bake for 30 minutes, turn the pieces, recover with foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
5. After an hour, lower your oven to 250 degrees, uncover the tofu, and continue baking for another hour or until most if not all the marinade has been absorbed.
6. Remove and let the baked tofu rest for 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Store any remaining tofu in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.