1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 beets, peeled and diced
½ head red cabbage, chopped
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
1 crisp apple, peeled and diced
3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon crushed caraway seed
Dairy-free sour cream, optional
1. Heat a stockpot over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot but not smoking add the onions, celery, and carrots and gently sauté until soft and translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so before adding the diced beets, red cabbage, potatoes, apple, and vegetable stock.
3. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
4. Using an immersion blender, process the hot soup until fairly smooth. Alternatively, you can serve this classic Borscht “rustic-style” and leave it chunky.
5. Just prior to serving add the caraway seed and fresh dill.
If desired top with dairy-free sour cream. Serve hot or at room temperature with a thick slice of dark sourdough bread.
If using a blender or food processor always allow the soup to cool for a few minutes before processing.