Serves 4 – Makes about 1 ½ cups
This luscious zesty sauce is wonderful spooned over grilled seitan, tempeh, tofu, roast potatoes or steamed and grilled vegetables. I always have a bowl of sauce available for extra dipping! Chimichurri should be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator and will keep for up to ten days.
1 cup packed fresh Italian parsley
1 cup packed fresh cilantro
½ cup olive oil
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
12 oz. of seitan
Vegetable oil for grilling
1. Combine all ingredients except seitan into the bowl of a food processor or blender and process to a purée. The consistency should be like a thin pesto.
2. Transfer the sauce to a small bowl, cover, and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours.
3. Heat your grill or grill pan to 450 degrees.
4. Skewer the seitan pieces and lightly brush with vegetable oil.
5. Grill the seitan, turning as necessary to ensure even cooking, until browned and the seitan has a crispy outer coating, about 10 minutes.
6. When the seitan is finished, arrange pieces on a platter and spoon on the Chimichurri sauce. Serve.