Serves 4 to 6
2 ¼ cups green (Puy) lentils
1/3 cup (or more to taste) sherry vinegar
6 tablespoons olive oil
5 scallions chopped, white and green parts
1 teaspoon minced garlic
¾ cups toasted pine nuts
1. To a medium pot add 3 ½ cups of water and the lentils and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer and cook until the lentils are tender but firm about 30 to 35 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse the cooked lentils in cool water and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl add the vinegar, oil and salt and whisk together until emulsified. Next add the scallion and garlic and whisk again.
4. Fold in the lentils and pine nuts and let the salad rest for at least an hour.
5. Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional vinegar if desired.
6. Serve topped with fresh tomato or tuck into Boston lettuce for a salad cup.
Easy additions to this recipe are 1 cup of fresh sweet corn, slivered sundried tomatoes or chickpeas. Use your imagination with this wonderfully tart yet basic lentil salad palette!